Friday, September 19, 2008

ER Visit

The girls at our house have all been fighting some kind of crud for about three weeks now. We seem to be passing it around, and somehow have left Jason out of the mix. Well, during the night last night, Reagan started having a hard time breathing. I thought she was just that stopped up. Then, at some point in the night, as I was laying there listening to her breathe over the monitor, it suddenly occurred to me that she had croup. You can't deny that little seal bark cough. So, this morning, I called and made an appointment with our pediatrician, thinking he would give us a prescription and we'd be on the mend. Well, I was wrong! We got to the the doctor's office at 11:40. The nurse called us back and I should have known something was up. She didn't sit down and put things in the computer or just chat like normal. She listened to her chest and said, keep her laying down, I'll be right back. She came back with the monitor for oxygen levels and Dr. Nail was right behind her. He wasn't in there but just a minute and he said you have to go to the Emergency Room right now. They could not get a reading on her oxygen level and he said she was really struggling to breathe. Of course, I feel like the mom of the year about now. So, off we go to the ER. I called Jason on the way and he headed up to get Rylee. Of course, none of us had eaten lunch and we were not prepared for a day in the ER. Luckily, I had packed sippy cups and goldfish crackers just in case the appointment ran long. I walked into the ER and they were ready to see us. Dr. Nail had called ahead and that helped so much. I was doing really well and they were checking Reagan out. She was really happy through the whole day. I thought things were okay, and then a guy came to the window covered in blood because he had just about cut his finger off. I told the nurse to go ahead and see about him and she said, "No, airways come before appendages." That is when I got worried. They checked her out and finally got an oxygen reading. It was 99, so that was a big relief. We went back to a room and she got steroids and a breathing treatment. We stayed there most of the afternoon. Jason came and got Rylee and took her to Chick-fil-a. He brought Reagan and I some food and then took Rylee home for a nap. The medicine they gave Reagan made her a little hyper. She was not able to sit still at all. So, I am worn out. I am just thankful she is okay. She will be on steroids for 5 days. Now, if we can just keep Rylee from getting it.

1 comments:

Ashley Hlavaty said...

I hope you get better soon my little Reagie Roo!! Tell her Aunt Ally loves her so much!